Latino men and coming out
Key take-home messages
- Further research is required to fully demonstrate the differences in ‘coming out’ patterns between Latino and White MSM and how these differences impact health, HIV outcomes and access to health care.
- Latino MSM have specific healthcare needs. Healthcare workers should integrate more opportunities for them to disclose their sexual identity and behaviour during health assessments.
- Latino MSM are not a homogenous group. Future research should address potential differences in the patterns of ‘coming out’ among different Latino communities.
- Mental health professionals should focus on addressing internalized homophobia among Latino MSM, as it can often cause symptoms of psychological distress including suicide among MSM.
The Ontario HIV Treatment Network: Rapid Response Service
- Epidemiology and Determinants of Health
- Determinants of Health
- Health services
- Men who have sex with men